
What's it with people who leave cell phones on all night and are extremely grumpy when they are woken up at 10:50am (or any other time ... eg 3:30am) by a call or a txt message?
There's an interesting article in the Readers Digest this month about technology keeping us connected... permanently. There's an interesting story from the writer that he was up in Nepal, checking out mountains, when he saw a net cafe. He decided to check his emails, then spent a while laughing at forwarded emails before noticing that he was in the most beautiful part of the world, reading stupid emails, and promply left.
I remember sending a txt message at 6:30am once, and getting told off because I shouldn't be sending txt messages that early in the morning.
What is it with our facination that if we do not check our emails, or leave our cellphones on at all times, that the world will suddenly cease?
I realise that I too am a slave to the cellphone and email. Although in the last 6 months or so I've started turning my phone off at night. But I was thinking that all this eagerness with technology, especially communications technology, is not making life easier. In fact, it makes us busier. Being switched on, needing to reply to a txt message within a five minute time frame or else we come across as snobs.... are we not placing unreasonable demands on ourselves?
Sometimes its just good to stop and smell the roses.
And for goodness sake... start by turning your cellphone off at night.


6 Comments:
At 8:05 am,
Sonya said…
I agree.
The worst was when I was working in a call centre. Someone would call ME and then say 'I just have a call on my cell phone..wait there a minue.' My pet peeve. I would be lying if I said I never hung up on these people. So rude. They called me and then expected me to waste my time waiting for them to answer a cellphone call?!
At 8:07 am,
Sonya said…
I posted this in parts because my initial comment wouldn't load...so I didn't want to risk losing it again.
I was just saying the other day that cellphones steal the 'now'. For example, within a group of girls, one might take a cellphone call and proceed to chat for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, everyone else is waiting for the call to end so they can get back to enjoying what is actually in front of them.
And it must irk hospitality/retail people too. Have you ever seen those signs asking people NOT to order whilst on their cellphone?
I don't have a cellphone at the moment but when I next do, I would like to be conscious of applying cellphone etiquette (and control).
At 8:09 am,
Sonya said…
And yes, why DO people answer their cellphone only to say, 'I'm just sleeping at the moment' OR 'I'm busy at the moment, can you call me back?' OR 'I'm in a meeting at the moment'. I mean, seriously (!), why did you answer your phone in the first place?
At 7:27 am,
Anonymous said…
I agree. No one should be texting at 6.30am in the morning. No one should be UP at that hour of the morning.
At 5:11 pm,
Cam D said…
I have got intot he habit of turning mine off if I have made a deliberte appointment with some one to do ssomething. If I am doing some thing with someone thats their time.
I made this resoultion after havig a freind that texted otheres constantly while you where hanging out with him.
grrr!
At 5:19 pm,
Cam D said…
also.. I hav greatly underestimated your new found commitment to blogging and havent checked for a while. I humbly apologise:)
Post a Comment
<< Home